Stories, thoughts, and photos as I become a runner

Thursday, April 11, 2013

My Actual Husband

Today I ran with Greg.  When we started dating we made a goal not to be those people.  We wanted people to feel comfortable hanging out with us, even if there was just us and one friend, nobody ever should feel like a third wheel.  Well right now I'm going to be that wife.  Just for a second and then I promise, back to business as usual.

Greg is awesome.  There are times when I think to myself...how the heck did this guy marry me?!  Today was one of these times.

I had to run tonight but I just wasn't feeling it.  I was weirdly moody when he got home (I think it was from me trying to learn how to play chess...not a joke that got me so frustrated!) and I was really not into going running.  So Greg went with me.

Together we ran just under 4 miles (3.93), I had to walk about a quarter mile (in three small breaks) because I got a pretty bad side sticker but mostly I was able to keep going, and this was one of my best runs ever!

This is how I know Greg loves me: he saw me feeling down and he said he'd go with me.  He saw me when I wasn't doing well and he let me walk, but not long enough to turn into a quitter.  He has compassion and patience and he runs slower than he would on his own because he knows my need.


When I think about how much I love marriage, I'm just blown away by the love of the Father.  Because here is the reality: as much as Greg loves me, it isn't as much as Christ does.  I think it's hard for us to imagine being loved as much as God loves us because His greatest display of love for us was over 2,000 years ago.  He doesn't physically run alongside of me and tell me I'm doing great, just a few more blocks.  He doesn't do those things because he saw us in a much greater mess than not wanting to run tonight and said "you're not doing so great, you've got farther to go than you can ever go on your own, let me run it for you".

That is love.  Sharing that love is why I run.



Don't forget that you can share this love with the homeless too!  By supporting me as I run, you are funding LIVING Ministry and our work sharing the Gospel in the shelters of Pittsburgh.  Donate online here (mention Jenna B in the comment section!) or by mail to LIVING Ministry at 2536 Maple Ave Pittsburgh PA 15214.

No comments:

Post a Comment