Stories, thoughts, and photos as I become a runner

Monday, January 14, 2013

Christmas Running Swag


This is a long one folks, so grab a cup of tea, put on your reading glasses, and settle in.  Or feel free to skim, I'm just happy you're here!

I'm sure some of you are wondering how the first week went, in fact, if you are reading this blog at all, it probably is because you care to know exactly that!

Well, it went...okay.  Simply okay.  I did worse than I thought I would in terms of my stamina, 2 miles was a real challenge for me.  Normally that would really have brought me down to "it was an awful mess" but I really love the fitness center I'm running at, and Greg (my very cool and supportive husband) has been encouraging me to run, and even going with me to the gym!  Not to mention all of the encouragement sent both online and in person.  All of this has really boosted my spirits and even though the running has been tough physically, I feel great mentally!



Last week I clocked in at 8.25 miles total!  I've been able to keep track thanks to this running log my sister gave me for Christmas.


I like this book a lot.  Each week is written out day by day with space to record what activity I did, where and when (which is great for recording times!), my distance that day, as well as comments about the run.  So far I've  logged every day and I'm really looking forward to reading back over these early days in a few months.  It's nice to have a written record of how things are going, and as a bonus each week comes with a helpful running tip.  Thanks Kaylee!




I got a few other things for Christmas that I was really excited about.  Mom and Dad Burdette (my awesome in-laws!) got me this running watch which will be a great tool when I start having longer runs. 



I hate having to map out my route in advance and then remember every turn so that I can get the right distance.  I knew I didn't need anything too serious, I really just want a way to know how far I've run. I tried a few iPod apps, but without a data plan, there were just a lot of inaccurate pedometers.  I tried using these when I trained for the Great Race 10K but they really didn't help because they were just so inaccurate.  I knew I would need something of a higher quality for the Half Marathon.

After a little bit of research, I came across this Accelerator Run Watch.  Instead of using GPS or pedometers, this watch instead gauges the acceleration of my movement.  Essentially as I move, a small part of the watch moves in proportion to my speed.  After entering my stride length the watch can calculate my running speed and using all of this information - my distance.  I haven't yet used it since my long run this week was only 3 miles and I used the treadmill but I am really looking forward to trying it out when I do my first outdoor long run!  The reviews were generally pretty glowing so I think this will be a fun treat in the Spring!




Last but not least, the most important equipment this Christmas came from Greg.  He promised me that if I would really get serious about running I could invest in a good pair of running shoes!  When I had made up my mind to train for the Half, Greg and I made an appointment at True Runner  (the Shadyside location is only 4 or 5 blocks from our apartment).  There I got fitted for my first pair of real running shoes.

After having my gait analyzed, I tried on a few pairs.  The analyzing was actually really simple, they just took a video of my calves down as I ran on a treadmill for about 30 seconds.  From this video they were able to identify that I put most of my weight on the inside of my foot when running - and I could really see what they meant when they showed me the video! 

I was pointed in the direction of the extra internal padding and in the end I chose the very first pair I tried on.  Their staff was great and really knew their stuff.  After trying on about 300 wedding dresses (exaggeration, don't worry) I never thought I would pick the first anything I tried on for the rest of my life, but this was the right suggestion for sure.  Thanks True Runner! 


Here they are! The Brooks Adrenaline GTS13.  I don't know too much about the different types of running sneakers on the market, but I do know that I sure love the bright blue laces, and I can definitely feel the support as I run.  I think as the mileage adds up, and I do more outdoor running, it will be a real asset to have the right kind of running shoe to keep me as stable as possible with each step and cushioned against the concrete.  


I also got a really neat, really bright jacket for outdoor runs (also from my sister!), and $30 in iTunes from my Uncle Win which I plan on using to update my very out of date running playlist.  I love the 90's but it's time for some new jams!  Here is all of my new running gear set against the beautiful hardwood of my living room haha.  Special thanks to my photographer Gregory S. Burdette for these stunning photos.


   





Finally, for those of you who are invested in my running schedule let me lay out the plan for this week.  I'll be repeating Week 1 of my training schedule to build confidence before hitting up Week 2.  This week's running schedule will be:

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 2 miles
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday:  2.5 miles
Friday: 3 miles
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: 25-30 minute cross train or gently paced run

Normally Saturdays will be my long run day but this week Saturday will be very busy at work so I'll be using my Friday Sabbath to get the long run in.  Thank you all for the support and encouragement!


Don't forget that if you'd like to support me financially as I run with Team LIVING Ministry you can always do that here and be sure to mention the Marathon in the comment section.   If you'd like to emotionally support me as I run - feel free to leave comments as often as you'd like! 





No comments:

Post a Comment